The Freedom of Information Center specializes in open government research and education and promoting the public's right to government accountability.
Established in 1958, the FOI Center and its founders were central to the effort to enact a national Freedom of Information Act. Four of the people associated with the Center have been named to the National Freedom of Information Act Hall of Fame.
The Center possesses the oldest and most comprehensive Freedom of Information library in the world, with a collection of more than 1 million articles and documents about access to information at the state, federal and local levels.
For historical information on the Center, follow the links below to the Archives of the University of Missouri-Columbia at:
- Record Group: 11 C Record, Sub-Group: 11, for correspondence files, general administrative records, copies of the Freedom of Information Center Publication, the Freedom of Information Center Report, and the F.O.I. Digest
- Record Group: 11 C Record, Sub-Group: 18, for administrative records pertaining to the School of Journalism and the Freedom of Information Center
- Record Group: 11 C Record, Sub-Group: 23, for general information about various groups and organizations of interest to journalists and the public
About the Redesign
Basically, we've kept all essential, updated information from the site as it existed previously and have started adding content, though that process will take a while longer.
Practically everything is linked from the Center's home page.
We hope what we've done will make it easier for you to navigate the site and find those materials for which you search.
If you do experience difficulties finding something you thought existed here, please see the contact information below and let us know about it.
Lastly, while here please be sure to visit the National Freedom of Information Coalition.
Contacting the Center
- Freedom of Information Center
- 101 Reynolds Journalism Institute
- Missouri School of Journalism
- University of Missouri
- Columbia, MO 65211
- Phone (573) 882-5736; Fax (573) 884-6204
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org