On October 23, 2012, the ACLU filed Freedom of Information Act requests with five federal agencies seeking records related to the federal government’s domestic use of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) – better known as drones – as well as plans for the future rollout of drones in the United States.
The FOIA requests ask questions including:
- How are drones being funded and purchased?
- What are the technical capabilities of drones that are being flown in the U.S.?
- What type of surveillance data is being captured, and how long is it being stored?
- Who can access drones and the data they capture?
- What other policies or procedures currently govern the domestic use of drones?